Thursday, August 14, 2008

Picture Collecting



For a while now I’ve wanted to have a picture of me at various locations around Austin. Places I’ve seen all my life and am going to be without for a while. The problem though was that I don’t have my camera because it’s in the shop getting fixed. So I just gave up on the whole idea. Then Emily and I made a day available to go out on a date and it feel on me as the guy to come up with a date idea. After a couple of days of thinking I came up with a date that involve all those pictures I wanted.

Since I’m basically stuck at home until work or just plain stuck on non-work days Emily picked me up and did all the driving. It was a nice change to have her as the driver, because I got to experience her driving habits like she’s gotten to experience mine.



Our plan was to drive into down town Austin and drop her car off at the institute, but when we got there the code for the parking lot didn’t work. I called Devin and asked him to repeat the code again just to make sure I hadn’t heard wrong. Still no go, so I went inside the institute and got them to help me open the parking lot. After that exciting beginning we walked all the way to the UT clock tower. Once there we kind of timidly waited till I finally stopped an officer and asked him if he’d take a picture of Emily and I in front of the tower. He kindly took the picture and it turn out right with just one try.



From the UT tower we walked to the Texas State History Museum. At the museum I went inside and asked an old man if he’d take a picture of Emily and I in front of the Star that’s in front of the building. Both pictures the man took turned out just fine. Then we continued walking in the hot, humid, horrible Texas summer heat.



Our next destination was the statue of the UT Longhorn in front of the Erwin Center. I was a little worried that there wouldn’t be anyone around to take our picture, but we lucked out and a man happened to be passing by right as we got to the longhorn. He kindly acted upon our request and took a picture of the two of us. This ended the picture taking in down town Austin, but it wasn’t the end of the picture taking. It was in fact the beginning of a long walk back to the car at the institute.



Once in the car I gave poor directions that eventually got us to Zilker Park. Emily and I had had a canoeing date there once so we went down to the little rent-a-canoe place and had the man there take a picture of the two of us. He was kind of into taking the picture and wanted to have the right lighting. Rather humorous really. On the way back to the car Emily wasn’t paying attention to where she was going and happened to be a bodies length in front of me. Some bikes were passing by and she just kept walking. I reached out to grab her, but she was to far away and just barely got missed. It scared me for a second there.



From Zilker Park we took Mopac all the way down to an Amy’s ice cream we’ve gone to as part of other dates. Emily wanted have pictures taken in one of those picture booth things and there just happens to be one in that Amy’s ice cream. The first picture took us by surprise but the last three were good… Behind the Amy’s ice cream there is a bunch of trees and some stone cow’s that people like to sit on and take picture. I asked some teenage girls to take our picture and the picture turned out alright enough.



From Amy’s we drove down to the pond by the church and took a few pictures by the pond using the timed feature on the camera. Then from the pond we drove to the church and took some picture inside the building and some outside by the trees in the back. Thus ended the picture taking part of the date. ;)

From the church we started our way back to my house. Along the way we stopped at a Whataburger and went through the drive through. Once home we ate, chatted, and then parted ways as Emily drove on home.

Good date, good pictures, good memories.

2 comments:

Emily Capps said...

lol but i realized the UT tower picture doesn't include much of the towerrrr

mwkelm said...

I wouldn't know because I haven't seen it yet. =p